< Thoughts & Readings


Wednesday, June 02, 2004  

Envy (Hasad) God Most High said, “Say: I seek refuge with the Lord of Daybreak from the evil of what He has created.” After this, He said, “and from the evil of the envious one when he envies” (113:1,5). So He ended the surah that He made a protection with the mention of envy. Abu-l-Husayn al-Ahwazi informed us through Ibn Mas’ud, that the Prophet said, “Three things are the origin of every error so shield yourself from them and beware of them. Beware of pride, for pride made satan not prostrate himself to Adam. Beware of ambition, for ambition made Adam eat from the tree. Beware of envy, fro one of the sons of Adam killed his brother out of envy.” A Sufi said, “The envious person is an infidel for he is not satisfied with the judgments of the unique One.” And it is said, “The envious man will not prevail.” It is stated in the Word of the Most High, “Say: My Lord has only forbidden indecencies, outer and inner.” (7:33). “Inner” indecency is said to be envy. According to another holy book, “The envious person is the enemy of My blessing.” It is said that the effect of envy becomes visible in you before it becomes visible in your enemy. Al-Asmai said, “I saw a Bedouin who had lived 120 years. ‘How long your life has been!’ I marveled. ‘I gave up envy and envy and endured,’ he replied.” Ibn Mubarak said, “Praise be to God Who has not put into the heart of the man who commands me what He has put into the heart of the man who envies me.” According to the ancient traditions, in the fifth heaven is a certain angel. A deed shining like the sun passes before him, and the angel says to it, “Stop! For I am the angel who deals with envy. I will strike the one whose work this is in the face with it, for he was an envier!” Muawiyah said, “It is possible to please everyone except an envier, for he is not pleased by the disappearance of good fortune.” And it is said, “The envious is a tyrannical oppressor: he will not let you be or leave you alone.” Umar bin Abd al-Aziz said, “I never saw a tyrant who more resembled a victim of tyranny than does an envier: Constant trouble with each successive breath!” One of the marks of the envier is that he will flatter someone when he is present, slander him when he is absent and gloat over misfortune when it befalls. Muawiyah said, “No bad characteristic is more just than envy—it destroys the envier before it destroys the object of his envy.” It is said that God, glory to Him, revealed to Prophet Solomon son of Prophet David, “I will counsel you about seven things. Do not criticize one of My righteous servants and do not envy any of My servants.” Solomon said, “O Lord, that is enough for me!” It is said that Prophet Moses saw a man by the Throne of God and wished for his state. He asked what the man’s characteristic had been that he had been granted such a state and was told that he would never envy people for the graces of God bestowed upon them. The envier, it is said, when he sees a blessing criticizes, and when he sees an error, gloats. It is said, “If you wish to be safe from the envier, conceal your affairs from him." The envier is enraged at people who do not sin and miserly about what he does not possess. Beware of exhausting yourself seeking the affection of one who envies you, for he will never accept your gift. When God Most High wishes to give power over a servant to an enemy who will show him no mercy, He gives that power to the one who envies him. The Sufis have recited: It is enough for you to say of a man That you see his enviers merciful to him. And they have recited: You may hope for the end of all enmity But that of the hater from envy. Ibn Mutazz said: When you see the envier pant with envy; Say: ‘O tyrant who appears tyrannized May your lungs burst!’ They recited When God wants an open virtue hidden He assigns it an envier’s tongue. Another contemptible characteristic of the ego is habitual backbiting. -Imam Abu-l-Qasim al-Qushayri, Principles of Sufism (Risalah Qushayriyyah)



posted by Abubak'r | 6/02/2004 04:55:00 PM |
As for him who fears to stand before his Lord and restrains the ego its desires, the Garden is shelter.
(The Snatchers:40)
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "The Fire is surrounded by all kinds of desires and passions, while Paradise is surrounded by all kinds of disliked, undesirable things."
(Bukhari)
Whoever does good at night is rewarded during the day and whoever does good during the day is rewarded at night. Whoever is sincere in abandoning a desire is saved from catering to it. God is too noble to punish a heart that has abandoned a desire for His sake.
(Abu Sulayman ad-Darani)
Beware of your ego, and trust not its mischief;
The ego is worse than seventy devils.
(Arabic Poem)
Abu Bakar Balkhi
Md Mubaraq
Md Firdaus
JoeTiger
Singapore
tag-board.com
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)




Thoughts & Readings Feed Count






random | list all

www.blogwise.com

Feedback by backBlog

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?


I seek God's forgiveness, and do not claim that my intention in producing this Blog is confined to good religious purposes; how may I do so when I am aware of the hidden desires, egotistic passions, and worldly wishes that I harbour? I do not claim innocence for myself; the ego is indeed an inciter to evil, save when my Lord shows mercy; my Lord is indeed Forgiving, Merciful. O God! I seek Your protection against my committing idolatry [shirk] knowingly, and Your forgiveness for that of which I am not aware! I ask God to make me and all other believers benefit from this Blog and to render my production of it purely for the sake of His Noble Countenance.

Google
Search WWW Search Thoughts & Readings


FastCounter by bCentral