< Thoughts & Readings


Friday, November 04, 2005  

Assalamu'alaykum wa Rahmatullah

Dear visitors,

Please pardon us for not having updated this blog for some time, we are currently working on moving this blog over to a more robust and scalable website, God Willing.

As such, this blog will no longer be updated. We apologise for any inconvenience. Feel free to check in and do give us your feedbacks and ideas for the new site. And please do update your links and bookmarks!

Wassalam




The Excellence of Knowledge
God said: "God will raise in rank those of you who believe as well as those who are given knowledge."
The Prophet said, "The best of men is the learned believer who, if he is needed, he will be useful; and if dispensed with, he will be self-sufficient." The Prophet also said, "God said unto Abraham, 'O Abraham! Verily I am knowing and I love every knowing person'." Again he said, "Should the day come wherein I increase not in knowledge wherewith to draw nearer to God, let the dawn of that day be accursed."
Concerning the superiority of knowledge to worship and martyrdom, the Prophet said, "The superior rank the learned man holds in relation to the worshipper is like the superior rank I hold in relation to the best of men." See how he placed knowledge on an equal footing with prophethood and belittled the value of practice without knowledge, despite the fact that the worshipper may not be ignorant of the worship he observes. Moreover, without this knowledge there would have been no worship.
'Ali ibn abi Talib said: "Learning is the glory of mankind, The wise are beacons on the road to truth; Man is worth his knowledge, nothing more- The fool will be his inveterate foe, Knowledge is man's hope of life immortal, Man may die but wisdom liveth ever."
Umar said, "O men! Seek ye knowledge. For verily God has a mantle of love for which He casts upon him who seeks knowledge even of a single section. Should he then commit an offence, God will remonstrate with him thrice in order not to rob him of his mantle, even tough that offence may persist with him until he dies."
Fath al-Mawsili said enquiring, "Would not the sick die if he is given no food or drink or medicine?" They said, "Yes". To which he said, "Similarly the heart will perish if it is cut off from wisdom and knowledge for three days." He did indeed speak the truth, for the nourishment of the heart, on which its life depends, is knowledge and wisdom, just as the nourishment of the body is food.

Exerpts from Hujjatul Islam Imam abu Hamid al-Ghazzali's The Book of Knowledge

On Acquiring Knowledge
You should have a wird of reading useful knowledge, which is that which increases your knowledge of the Essence of God, His Attributes, Acts and Favours, makes you aware of His commands and prohibitions, leads you to renounce the things of this world and wish only for the hereafter, and brings you your faults, the defects in your acts and the plots of your enemy to your notice. This knowldege is present in the Book, the sunnah, and the writings of the leaders[imams].

Excerpt from Imam Abdullah ibn Alawi al-Haddad's The Book of Assistance

A Poem
Farewell greetings to her who enslaved me through her elegance,
The splendour of her cheeks, and the furtive glances of her eyes.
A charming young maiden captivated me and filled me with love.
Imagination is confounded in describing her(charms).
But I said to her: "Leave me and excuse me, for indeed
I have become enamored with knowledge and its unveiling.
And for me seeking knowledge, learning, and reverence of God
suffices me over the songs of singing maidens and their perfume."

Excerpt from Imam Zarnuji's Instruction of the Student:Method of Learning



posted by DiCrypTor | 11/04/2005 03:07:00 AM |
As for him who fears to stand before his Lord and restrains the ego its desires, the Garden is shelter.
(The Snatchers:40)
Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "The Fire is surrounded by all kinds of desires and passions, while Paradise is surrounded by all kinds of disliked, undesirable things."
(Bukhari)
Whoever does good at night is rewarded during the day and whoever does good during the day is rewarded at night. Whoever is sincere in abandoning a desire is saved from catering to it. God is too noble to punish a heart that has abandoned a desire for His sake.
(Abu Sulayman ad-Darani)
Beware of your ego, and trust not its mischief;
The ego is worse than seventy devils.
(Arabic Poem)
Abu Bakar Balkhi
Md Mubaraq
Md Firdaus
JoeTiger
Singapore
tag-board.com
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)




Thoughts & Readings Feed Count






random | list all

www.blogwise.com

Feedback by backBlog

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?


I seek God's forgiveness, and do not claim that my intention in producing this Blog is confined to good religious purposes; how may I do so when I am aware of the hidden desires, egotistic passions, and worldly wishes that I harbour? I do not claim innocence for myself; the ego is indeed an inciter to evil, save when my Lord shows mercy; my Lord is indeed Forgiving, Merciful. O God! I seek Your protection against my committing idolatry [shirk] knowingly, and Your forgiveness for that of which I am not aware! I ask God to make me and all other believers benefit from this Blog and to render my production of it purely for the sake of His Noble Countenance.

Google
Search WWW Search Thoughts & Readings


FastCounter by bCentral